One of the most asked question by many windows user is “What are the best ways to find out exact version of any Windows application”. And since not many have written about it, we thought we should write an article on it. Here are some best ways to find out exact version of any Windows application you are using, Whether it is an application bundled with Windows, a third-party application you installed or a modern app from the Windows Store.
NOTE: This article is applicable to Windows 7, Windows 8.1 And Windows 10.
1. Help Menu:
Many programs store their version information in their Help menu, found in the main window of the application.
Click or tap Help and then About.
2. Find version information using the notification area icon:
There are applications which have no Help or File menus with an About entry included. If these applications are running in the background and they have an icon in the notification area, you can use that icon to get the information you need.
3. Hidden Help Menu:
There are applications which have a Help menu that is not visible in the main user interface. In order to find this menu, right-click on its top or bottom toolbar. In the right-click menu you will find Help and then About.
If you have tried other methods and failed to Find out the exact version Of Any Windows Application. Try this. It works almost every time, with any desktop application for Windows.
Open Windows Explorer in Windows 7 or File Explorer in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Then, navigate to the location where the application is installed. Locate the main executable (a file with the extension “.exe”). It generally has the same name with the application itself. For example, Oracle Java has the java.exe file, CCleaner has ccleaner.exe and so on. Right click on it and then select Properties. In the Properties window, go to the Details tab. There you will find information about the product name, the product version and so on.
5. Learn the version of applications using the ribbon:
Since Microsoft started using the ribbon interface in its Microsoft Office suite, many other software developers started using ribbon-based interfaces. If that’s the case for the application you are using, the version information is always found in the File menu. There you will either find a Help -> About section, or the About link directly in the File menu.
For Ex: In Paint you need to go to “File -> About Paint”.
6. Find out version for Windows 10 apps:
Open the app that you are interested in and then look for the Settings button. It should be somewhere in the user interface. Click or tap on it and then look for the About section. Click or tap About and there you will find the version of the application that you are using.
OUR MOST TRENDING POSTS:
- HOW TO COMPLETELY DELETE YOUR GOOGLE HISTORY
- 9 SIMPLE WAYS TO GET RID OF SLOW GOOGLE CHROME
- 98 GOOGLE TRICKS YOU WISH YOU KNEW BEFORE
- 13 BEST VLC TRICKS AND HACKS YOU NEED TO KNOW RIGHT NOW
How to find out exact version of Windows you are using:
All users who are using Microsoft Windows can find what version of Windows they’re using by following the steps below.
Windows 8 and 10
1. Go to the Windows Desktop screen.
2. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard.
3. Type winver in the text field and press Enter.
Windows 7 and earlier
1. Click the Start button, usually found in the lower left corner of the main Desktop screen.
2. Click the Run or Search field, type winver, and press Enter.
This opens an About Windows window and displays the version of Microsoft Windows, the build info, and service pack information if any service pack is installed.
Alternative method 1:
Windows 8 and 10
1. Go to the Windows Start screen.
2. Type about your PC and select the About Your PC option.
Windows 7 and earlier
1. Right-click on My Computer on the Windows Desktop or in the Start menu.
2. Select the Properties option.
3. In the System Properties window, as shown below, the version of Windows and the Service Pack (if installed) is displayed.
Alternative method 2:
1. Open CMD.
2. Type Ver and Press Enter.
So, this is how you find out Exact Version Of Any Windows Application. I hope, it helps. Make sure to share it with your friends.
Looking for help? Get 100% FREE technical support for your Windows.