Are You Facing insufficient storage in windows 10? Here is the Step by step How to free up hard drive space on your Windows 10 by an expert. With everyday file sizes increasing we require more and more hard drive space, no matter whatever device you are using whether it’s a window or a MAC hard drive space issue is a big problem.
Even if you are using a Desktop or a Laptop it does not matter it comes with particular hard drive space. And nowadays even a good quality movie requires a minimum of 1 gigabyte of space, and the everyday cellphone cameras getting better and better the size of the pictures taken from them are no longer in kilobytes its in megabytes so even if you transfer them to your Windows 10 PC hard drive or MacBook hard drive it will take up a lot of space so today I am going to tell you how to free hard drive space on Windows 10
How to free hard drive space on Windows 10
1.Delete unnecessary & Temporary Files
You know what sometimes we have a habit of saving everything even if we do not need them I myself does this many times or download a broken file then forget it about it but still it takes up some space.
But, in Windows 10, we can use the Store settings to get an overview of how space is being utilized on the main system drive and external hard drives. Also, windows 10 gives you a feature in which you can see which folder is using how much space you can identify that folder and then delete the unnecessary files from your computer to free hard drive space on Windows 10.
Here’s how to find and delete temporary files on Windows 10:
- Use the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut to open the Settings app.
- Click on System.
- Click on Storage.
- Under Storage select the drive you want to analyze. (Note that the This PC drive is the main computer’s hard drive where Windows 10 is installed.)
- On Storage usage, you can see that Windows 10 categorizes the content based on default folders (e.g., Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.), apps and games, and system files, and you can view the storage usage. Simply click on of the item’s name to get more information.
- If you want to delete its content, click the view button to open the folder location, and delete the files you don’t need free hard drive space on windows 10.
- Go back to Storage usage and click on Temporary files. In this section, Windows 10 will list different kind of temporary files you may want to delete, including Temporary files, Downloads folder, Recycle bin, and more. Click on the button of the content you want to remove and follow the instructions to delete the files from windows 10 hard drive & free hard drive space on windows 10.
- Go back to Storage usage and now click Other. Windows 10 uses this section to list all the folder that couldn’t be categorized. Identify which folders are using the most storage space in windows 10 hard drive and click on them to access the location.
- Select its content, right-click, and select Delete to remove the files and folders. And free hard drive space on Windows 10.
2.Delete File History Version
If you see that you are running out of space on your external hard drive, it could be that you’ve configured File History to keep your personal files constantly backed up.
It could be that you’ve only set the basic settings, which by default creates copies of your files every hour and keeps them forever. This setup configuration can quickly use a large amount of storage diminishing the available space that you could use for other storage.
Here’s how to change the File History version setting and how to use the cleanup tool to delete the older version of files and folders & free hard drive space on Windows 10:
- Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Control Panel.
- Click File History.
- On the left pane, click Advanced settings.
- Under Versions, change the default options by clicking the drop-down menu on the right for Save copies of files and Keep saved versions to the best options that suit your needs. For example, Every 12 hours and 3 months respectively.
- Click the Clean up versions link.
- In the File History Cleanup tool, select the file versions you want delete from the drop down menu. For example, select the All but the latest one option, if you wish to get the most space by only keeping one version of the files.
- Click the Clean up button to complete the process.
- Click the Save changes button on Advanced settings to commit the new changes.
With these new settings tweaks, you will reclaim a healthy amount of free hard drive space on windows 10, and future File History backups will take less space as we have reduced the frequency in which each file backup is triggered.
3.Delete duplicate images
- Visit the Duplicate Photo Finder download page, and click the Download portable version link to download the application on your computer.
- Right-click the zip folder and select Extract all.
- Click the Extract button.
- The tool is portable, which means no installation is required. Simply double-click the AwesomePhotoFinder.exe file you extracted to launch the tool.
- On the Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder main screen, click the plus “+” sign button to add a folder location you want to scan for duplicate images.
- Click the Start Search button to begin the scan.
- After the scan completes, you’ll be presented with all the duplicate pictures and similarity score. Click the Delete button on the images you don’t want to keep.
- Click Yes to confirm deletion to the Recycle bin.
- Repeat the same process until there no more images listed in the application.
Note: Keep in mind that the tool we’re mentioning today is a free third-party software, and as always download and use at your own risk.
Now the folder you scanned should only contain one version of a particular photo. If you change your mind, you can restore the images from the Recycle bin or delete the duplicate images completely from there & free hard drive space on Windows 10.
4.Uninstall useless apps
I know as a user we find every new app worth trying but what we decide we actually do not amend to that we install but forget to uninstall and in windows 10 you get many useless apps just get rid of them or it will take up all the windows 10 hard drive space.
Here’s how to uninstall desktop and Store apps:
- Use the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut to open the Settings app.
- Click System.
- Click Apps & features.
- Identify the applications you don’t need and are using the most space on your computer. Select an app and click the Uninstall button.
- Confirm by clicking the second Uninstall button.
- If you’re trying to uninstall a Windows 10 Store app, no further action is required. If it’s a legacy desktop application, you will need to follow the on-screen directions to complete the uninstall.
- Repeat the steps to remove any other application & free hard drive space on Windows 10.
5.Fresh Installation of Windows 10
Do not upgrade to windows 10 over windows 8.1 without formatting because a copy of the previous installation will be stored on your computer inside the Windows.old folder. Which does takes up lot of windows 10 hard drive space
The backup copy of your PC’s previous installation is a mechanism the operating system uses to roll back in case something goes wrong during the upgrade. However, after the upgrade completes successfully and if you’re not planning to go back to the previous version of Windows, these temporary files will just be wasting valuable space on your computer.
Fortunately, the operating system ships with its Cleanup tool to delete system temporary files. Use this guide to remove a previous installation of Windows, which can help you to reclaim over 15GB of storage space & free hard drive space on Windows 10.
Also, Do check How Auto clean Temporary File At Window 10 Startup
So these are the 5 tips you can follow to free up hard drive space on your Windows 10.
Hope this blog “5 tips you can follow to free up hard drive space on your Windows 10.” will help in you fix your hard drive clean up process in windows 10. In case you are facing Any Device Issue Like Broken Screen or battery replacement or any kind Motherboard Issue with surface Call Us 9088888835 or Click here.
For Complete Repair your device you consult with our Expert here
For More tech tips&trick and windows error related article you can check our Blogs.
Do like Subscribe us YouTube For more tutorial and tech tips. Until then Adios !!!