Is your Dell laptop’s black screen issue causing you trouble? Want to know how to fix black screen on Dell laptop? What’s wrong with the screen? Don’t panic. Go through this guide and learn how to repair Dell laptop black screen issue as soon as possible.
How to Fix Black Screen on Dell Laptop | Follow The Steps Below
Here I will discuss some of the tested methods, we have all the solutions you need to fix Dell laptop black screen issue.
Get Dell Laptop Repair Service Anywhere In India Best Values
Possible Reasons Of A Dell Laptop Black Screen
A black screen is also called as Black Screen of Death. It is a common issue on Windows 10. It can happen during the boot process or after login/BIOS update etc. Before resolving the Dell laptop screen not working problem, we must know the possible reasons. Here are the reasons:
- Overheating device. Your Dell laptop screen randomly turns black when the device gets too hot due to poor ventilation. Also, overheating can cause your computer to crash.
- Problems updating adapter drivers. When your Dell computer experiences these issues, it will remain on a black screen.
- Bad connection between graphics drivers and OS. This is one of the leading causes of Dell Black Screen errors.
- Display issues. A black screen issue on a Dell laptop occurs if the monitor, graphics card, video driver, or connecting cables are damaged.
- Hardware failure. Black screen issues can also occur if your Dell computer has a hardware failure.
- Virus or malware. If your Dell laptop turns black and still works, there may be a virus or malware lurking in your Dell device.
- Windows 10 installation issues. A black Dell laptop screen may also appear if Windows 10 is not properly installed on your Dell computer.
- Power supply issues. Power issues can also cause the screen of your Dell laptop to go black.
Now that we have understood the causes. Let’s go further and explore a number of easy ways to fix Dell laptop black screen issue.
Solutions To Dell Laptop Black Screen | Fix Black Screen On Dell Laptop
How can I fix the black screen on my Dell laptop and get my computer to work properly? Below, we have provided some troubleshooting methods to fix the black screen error on your Dell laptop, and we will guide you through the clear steps to perform each method. So let’s explore these methods one by one.
Solution 1: Do A Force Shut Down
If you’re stuck at the Dell black screen after login, as you cannot restart your Dell laptop normally, the first solution is to perform a force shutdown. This allows you to force the device to reboot or force a quick reboot. To conduct a force shutdown, you can follow these steps.
- Disconnect all the external devices (like printers, Bluetooth, or USB devices) connected to your Dell laptop.
- Press and hold the power button on your Dell laptop until the power LED goes dark.
- Remove the AC adapter and remove the battery as is.
- Then, keep holding the power button for about 60 seconds to drain the remaining battery
- Now, connect the battery and charger again.
- Turn on your Dell computer and see if the black screen persists.
If your Dell laptop screen goes black but still running, You may need to boot into Safe mode to fix the problem.
Solution 2: Boot Into Safe Mode
If the force restart doesn’t work to fix Dell laptop black screen issue, then you should try booting your Dell laptop into Safe Mode. Only essential system programs and services can run in safe mode. Therefore, booting your Dell computer in safe mode can minimize the chances of encountering a black screen issue on your Dell laptop. It also helps you find the reason behind the black screen. Here is how to do it.
- First, turn OFF your Dell laptop
- Press the power button to turn it ON.
- Before the Windows logo appears, keep holding the Shift+F8 keys to enter into Recovery Mode
- If you don’t see the Recovery Mode menu, try the steps again.
- After entering the Recovery Mode menu, click on See advanced repair options
- Then, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Windows Startup Settings
- And then, click on Restart
- After your Dell laptop restarts, choose 5 or F5 from the list of options.
- You are now in safe mode with network connectivity.
Solution 3: Reboot Your Graphics Drivers
If your Dell laptop screen goes black but still running, there may be a connection issue between your device and the operating system. Updating the graphics drivers can improve the connection between them. Simply follow the steps below:
- Press Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B keys simultaneously
- Sit back, and wait until the restart process finishes. In most cases, the black screen Windows 10 error on your Dell laptop can be fixed after a reboot. In this case, you need to take further steps to resolve the issue.
- If your Dell laptop screen goes black but still running, now it’s time to update your graphics drivers
- You should open the Device Manager via Run Window
- Press Win+R keys to open the Run window
- Enter msc and click the OK button.
- Double click the Display adapters option,
- And right click on your graphics drivers, then choose the Update drivers option
- In that window, you can choose to search automatically for updated driver software option
If the problem is with your graphics driver, it will be fixed soon. If not, try other methods.
Solution 4: Reset Or Update BIOS
The Dell laptop black screen issue can appear because of BIOS settings. Hence resetting or updating BIOS settings can help you solve your problem. To reset the BIOS settings, do the following:
- Turn OFF your Dell laptop
- After the Dell logo appears, keep pressing the F2 or F12 key until the Entering Setup appears.
- Now tap the F9 key or press the Alt+F key, to enter into the Load Default Options prompt.
- Click on Yes to restore the default settings
- Then Click Exit, after saving the BIOS settings by choosing the Enter key
You can also update BIOS to the latest version resetting the BIOS to factory defaults won’t fix the problem.
Solution 5: Restart the Explorer.exe Process
If Explorer.exe has a problem, your Dell computer screen may turn black. You can turn on and off your computer by pressing the Windows + R keys or clicking the Power icon on Windows’s taskbar.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys at the same time to open
- Click the Process tab, then select explorer.exe
- Then right-click on it and select the End Task option
Now restart your Dell laptop to check if the black screen is gone now. If the Dell laptop black screen issue still continues, then go for another solution.
Solution 6: Replace Display Panel
Replacing the display panel can also troubleshoot your Dell laptop black screen issue. If you see a flicker with the LED on your panel screen, you are most likely dealing with a black screen problem. Using a monitor to connect to your PC and ensure that the display is working can give you a hint in that direction. If it is not seen, the display panel needs to be replaced. These steps can also help screen up issues related to the black Screen problem.
- First remove the power cord and battery from your Dell laptop to drain the power out.
- Press the Power button for atleast 10-20 sec to drain the remaining power.
- Then turn ON the power back with the help of a power cord.
- If you find that the LED on the Caps lock key is static, then try connecting an external monitor to your system to verify the operations of the external monitor.
- If the external monitor shows the display, then now is the time to replace your display panel
- If the LED on the Caps lock key is blinks with some gap, then you need to do th BIOS recovery. To do this:
- Turn OFF your Dell laptop, and connect it to the power cord.
- Then press the Ctrl+Esc keys continuously until the BIOS recovery page appears.
- Choose Reset NVRAM and select Enter
- To start with the recovery process, click recover BIOS and press Enter.
Conclusion On How To Fix Black Screen On Dell Laptop
Sure, you are facing a lot of technical fixes on your computer, all of which might have been fixed. I’ve selected these fixes as a result of our extensive experience in addressing errors of this nature. On our very first attempt, we’ve seen that working on solutions without removing the causes is the best way to ensure errors are corrected. We suggest you take a deep look at the solutions proposed by us to ensure a plan that fits the case, like the cases at hand.