If you’re already running a full anti-malware suite, you might not even realize that Windows Defender is already installed on Windows, and is probably wasting precious resources. And two will probably conflict with each other and cause performance problems. So, today we will explain how to turn off Windows Defender.
Just to be clear, we’re not saying that we are against Windows Defender. Some spyware protection is better than none, and it’s built in and free! But if you are already running something that provides great anti-malware protection, there’s no need to have more than one application running at a time.
How to turn off Windows Defender: Option 1:
1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.
2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, Click on Administrative Templates.
Under Administrative Templates, click on Windows components and select Windows Defender from the list.
Now, under Windows Defender, you can see an option called “Turn off windows defender”. Click on it.
Under Windows Defender setting, Click on “Disabled” then click on okay or apply.
That’s it. you are done. Now, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.
NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.
- HOW TO SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE IN WINDOWS
- HOW TO SEE WHICH APPLICATIONS ARE DRAINING YOUR BATTERY ON WINDOWS 10
- HOW TO USE WINDOWS DEFENDER TO REMOVE SPYWARE FROM YOUR WINDOWS 10 PC
How to turn off Windows Defender: Option 2:
1. To Turn On or Off Windows Defender using a REG file. The .reg files below will add and change the registry key and DWORD value below.
To turn off Windows Defender Download HERE.
To turn on Windows Defender Download HERE.
4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.
5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.
6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.
7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.
8. If you are turning on Windows Defender, then open Windows Defender, and click/tap on Start now if needed.[fruitful_sep]
- HOW TO BACKUP WINDOWS 10
- ARE YOUR PARENTAL CONTROLS KEEPING UP THE PACE?
- HOW TO CONFIGURE WINDOWS 10 TO PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY
How to turn off Windows Defender: Option 3:
This option is quite useful if you want to turn off Windows Defender for a temporary time period, incase you want to install something in your computer, which is not allowed by Windows defender. Windows will turn it on automatically if it is turned off for a while.
1. Open Windows Defender from the Start Menu. And click on setting.
2. In setting, turn off Real-time protection.
3. If you want to Turn it on again, just open Windows defender and click on Turn on.
That’s it. You are done. I hope, it helps.