Why you should link PAN to Aadhaar Card?
As per The Government of India’s Tax Department notification, it is compulsory for all Indian residents to link their Aadhaar Card with PAN by July 31, 2017. If you Fail to do so it might lead to the invalidation of the PAN card. This step is taken to give a positive push to the government’s effort to digitise and track more tax payers. It is important to link PAN to Aadhaar Card as it fulfils several other purposes like income tax return file etc.
As per the Income Tax Department notification, income tax returns could be e-filed without linking Aadhaar and PAN till 5 August 2017. The deadline to link PAN and Aadhaar which was initially extended from 31 August 2017 to 31 December 2017, has now been further extended by the CBDT to 31 March 2018 to make the process of linking easy . Note that fact very seriously that the process of income tax return will not process if the you not link PAN to Aadhaar Card still.
How you can link PAN to Aadhaar Card?
To make the process easy for the taxpayer to link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card Income Tax Department introduce the 2 step process. The process can be used by anyone to link PAN to Aadhaar Card either he or she is taxpayer or not.
Here is the Step by Step guide of linking Aadhaar to PAN Card-
- If you are already registered to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in then just go to the site and click on the link on the justifypane called- Link Aadhaar.
- Input the PAN and Aadhaar no. on the required boxes and Enter Name Same as written in AADHAAR CARD (avoid spelling mistakes) and submit. After that it will verify by UIDAI which is the government website for Aadhaar, the linking will be confirmed.
If you are not registered with the income tax e-filing portal then follow these below steps-
- First register yourself at the income tax e filing portal, if you are not already registered.https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/.
- Log in to the e-Filing portal of the Income Tax Department by entering the log-in ID, password and date of birth. Your log-in ID is your Pan Number.
- After you log-in to the site, a pop up window will appear on the screen which prompt you to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card. If the popup does not appear, go the blue top bar and choose the option ‘Profile Settings’ and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ option.
- Your personal details will appear on screen verify the details with your Aadhaar Card Details and if it matches then enter the Aadhaar Card Number and Captcha Code and click on the “link Aadhaar” button.
- A pop-up message will appear on your screen to inform you that you successfully link PAN to Aadhaar card.
If the names do not match?
In case of any minor mismatch in Aadhaar name provided, Aadhaar OTP will be required. The OTP will generate on your phone number linked with Aadhaar. Please ensure that the date of birth and gender in PAN and Aadhaar are exactly same. But some issues come forward in those cases also. In response to the taxpayers’ complaints about the names not matching on both systems, the Income Tax department has allowed access to the e-filing website to link Aadhaar with PAN card without having to change name. Just select the option called “Name as per Aadhaar”. So, you can enter your PAN number, Aadhaar number, name as per Aadhaar and the captcha code and successfully link PAN to Aadhaar Card.
What you will do if you don’t have Aadhaar card or PAN Card?
It is important to Aadhaar Card and if you don’t have yours then apply as soon as possible because Govt. of India is trying to link Aadhaar to a host of services, making it the single-most important identification document for all Indian residents. You can apply for a new Aadhaar Card online or by visiting an office near you.
And if you don’t have a PAN Card then there is no need to hurry just while applying for a PAN card you have to provide your Aadhaar Card details as your address proof to build a connect. You can also apply for a PAN card online through e-KYC and e-signature and enter your Aadhaar Card number to be able to subsequently link PAN to Aadhaar card.
Link PAN to Aadhaar Card through SMS
Now you can also link your Aadhaar and PAN through SMS also. The Income Tax Department has given the facility to the taxpayers to link PAN to Aadhaar Card, using an SMS-based facility.Send SMS to either 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number in following format:
UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar><Space><10 digit PAN>
To know how to register your mobile number with your Aadhaar Card click here.
It will lead you to the successful link of your Aadhaar and PAN Card.