How To Factory Reset An iPhone Without Passcode and iTunes With Zero Data Loss
Our iPhone is more than just a phone; it is a scheduler, the reservoir of all our personal data and so our life is pretty much dependent on it. However, there might come a time when your device is not working as effectively as it should and you are getting laggy responses like the email or text messages opening slowly or the pictures not loading properly. This is the time when you will know that you will need to factory reset your iPhone. Moreover, sometimes you might be thinking of selling your iPhone, which would mean that you will need to clear your device off all the personal data by removing the iCloud. This, thus, can be done by factory resetting your iPhone. However, factory resetting can make any user nervous since it would mean all the stored data would be lost. However, in this article, we will be looking at the ways you can Factory reset your iPhone without iTunes and Passcode and How to take a data backup and restore those data from the iTunes or iCloud.
Why Your iPhone Needs A Factory Resetting Without iTunes
Your iPhone might need a Factory resetting to be performed if it shows these symptoms:
- Laggy access to the Text/SMS application
- Longer than five-second delay to get a live image in the Camera application
- Long pause before being able to scroll in Contacts
- Delay when clicking on the letter shortcuts in Contacts
- Keypad not responding
- Apps Crashing, Freezing
- Malfunction due to Virus or Corrupted Files
- Phone not ringing & vibrating
- Phone can’t recognize connected devices.
- Your iPhone is disabled or locked.
- You forgot the iPhone passcode.
- You want to delete all personal data before reselling your iPhone.
What Is Factory Reset And What Does It Do To Your iPhone
Factory resetting /master resetting/ Hard Resetting your iPhone with or without passcode would mean that the phone would be restored to its original system state or to its original manufacturer settings by deleting all the data and information stored in the device. Factory Reset is usually done to fix any issues with the device. Resetting or restoring to the original state will remove any files or fix glitches that are causing the device to malfunction. Following are the things that will get deleted
- All of your Notes will get deleted (it is suggested you email them to yourself first, then switch to Notebook or Evernote)
- All the unsynced Photos will get deleted (sync them first)
- Your Phone favorites will get deleted (just re-add them late)
Also, all of your Settings revert back to their default factory settings, including:
- Email settings, i.e. your default account (watch that one), 5-line preview, the annoying “Sent from my iPhone” signature, etc.
- Caps lock, gets turned off. Apple needs to make this setting the default
You can factory reset your iPhone either with a passcode or without one. Also, you can factory reset your iPhone without iTunes, that we will be going to be discussing in this article.
Back Up Your Data Before Doing A Factory Reset
Before you factory reset your iPhone without iTunes and Passcode here are the three ways by which you can back up all the data from your iPhone.
Manually Back Up Data Into A Computer
- Connect the iPhone to a computer, and launch the Phone Transfer.
- On the startup interface, choose “Back Up Your Phone” module.
- Select the files you wish to save to computer by checking the boxes on the middle column.
- Hit Start Copy button to begin the transfer process.
Manually Back Up Data To iTunes
- Run iTunes on a PC or Mac with the iPhone connected via a USB cord.
- Click iPhone icon on the upper left corner of the iTunes window to open up the summary panel.
- Scroll down to the Backups sections, check “This computer“, tick the box labeled “Encrypt iPhone backup” if you want all your passwords to be saved, and then press the Back Up Now button to make the backup happen.
Manually Back Up to iCloud Before Resetting
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings > > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
- Toggle on iCloud Backup if it’s not already turned on.
- Tap Back Up Now and wait until the process is finished.
How To Factory Reset Your iPhone Without iTunes Or Passcode
Below are the ways by which you can Factory Reset your iPhone.
Factory Reset iPhone Without iTunes via Settings (Using Passcode)
Some iPhone users might not care if their data is deleted or not so they would opt for doing the factory reset from the Device Settings since it would make the resetting possible without iTunes. iTunes can be problematic sometimes since after resetting, it will automatically update the iOS to the latest version by default. So here is how you can factory reset iPhone without iTunes via settings.
Go To iPhone Settings app > General > Reset, tap on Erase All Contents and Settings.
After then you have to enter your passcode to confirm your operation.
Select “Erase iPhone” from the pop-up window.
After resetting your iPhone, you can restore from iCloud backup if you have an iCloud backup.
Factory Reset iPhone Without iTunes though Hard Reset (No Need Of Passcode)
Hard Reset is iPhone’s built-in feature that lets you reset or restore your iPhone to its original factory settings or original manufacturer settings. So here is how you can do the iPhone factory reset without iTunes
1. Plug your iPhone into a computer and open the recovery mode screen display in the following ways.
For iPhone 6 and earlier models
Press and hold the Side and Home Buttons simultaneously, waiting for the recovery mode screen displaying.
iPhone 7 and 7 plus
Press and hold both the Down volume button and the Side button at the same time. After waiting for a while, the recovery mode screen has shown.
Press and release the Up volume button, then press the Down one, repeat the process; you shouldn’t stop holding the Side button (Sleep/Wake button) until the recovery mode screen display on your iPhone screen.
2. After entering the recovery mode screen, Tap on “Restore”
3. Lastly, while the update is finished, configure your iPhone by default.
Factory Reset iPhone Without iTunes via Find My iPhone/ iCloud
iOS also lets you factory reset your iPhone without iTunes using the iCloud or the Find My iPhone. However, in this procedure, if you have not logged into your iCloud then you will need to log in using your Apple ID Passcode and if you have your Find My iPhone feature enabled then you will not need any Passcode for this process.
Sign in icloud.com with your Apple ID.
Choose Find My iPhone on iCloud.
Find and click on All Devices at the top left of your screen.
Select the device you need to Remove.
Confirm by clicking on Erase .
Once you are done with the Factory Reset of the iPhone you can restore the data that you backed up and restore your iPhone in the following way.
Restore Your iPhone Using iTunes
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer.
- Launch iTunes on your computer.
- Click on the device icon in the upper left corner of the iTunes window.
- Click on the device summary from the menu on the left side.
- Make sure the box is ticked for automatically backing up to This computer.
- Click Restore Backup.
- When the option appears, select your device and click Restore.
- If necessary, enter the password to unlock your iPhone backups (used when encrypting your backups).
Restore Your iPhone Using iCloud
- When you see the “Hello” screen, press the Home button.
- Select a language.
- Select a country or region.
- Choose a Wi-fi network and sign into it.
- Enable or disable Location Services.
- Set up Touch ID.
- When you get to the “Apps and Data” screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Select the backup you want to use. Tap Show all backups to view older backups stored in iCloud.
If restoring your iPhone fails even after following these steps, then you will need to Clean Install your iOS and make a fresh start.
Factory resetting your iPhone can be a scary task since you will lose all your data and so Backing up all the data is mandatory before you go further into the process. Also resetting without iTunes can be beneficial if you want to avoid automatic update of the iOS. This article is thus to guide the process of doing the Factory reset of the iPhone without iTunes. In case you face any other issues in your iPhone, feel free to reach out to us.